Lincoln Park Illinois History
Lincoln Park is a neighborhood on Lake Michigan on the north side of Chicago, Illinois. It is one of Chicago's wealthiest neighborhoods because it is located in the heart of Lincoln Park, Illinois' second largest city after Chicago. The majority of people living here are from affluent and affluent backgrounds, making Chicago Chicago the second wealthiest neighborhood in the country (the first is the Gold Coast). The park consists of accredited public and private schools as well as a large number of restaurants, bars, shops and hotels.
If the weather is nice in Chicago, Lincoln Park is the perfect place to spend the day and escape the hustle and bustle of the city and take a day trip to one of Chicago's most popular tourist destinations.
The CTA Red Line runs along Sheffield Avenue and stops at Lincoln Park Station in the west of the city, and the Brown Line further west also stops at Sheffield Street. The 73 Armitage bus, which you can catch at Inincoln Park, also stops in Sheffield, Lincoln Avenue, Lincoln Street, Sheffield and Michigan Avenue.
Lincoln Park is approximately 1,200 acres, stretching from north to south, starting at Ohio Street in the south and running from east to west, overlooking Lake Michigan, making it one of the largest parks in Chicago and the second largest park in Illinois.
Lincoln Park was named immediately after the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln and was initially called North Park. The area was then renamed Lake Park in 1865, named after the lake, then Lake Michigan and finally Lincoln Park in 1868. In 1871, the park was renamed to honor the recently assassinated President Lincoln. After the death of the Lincoln dynasty and its final resting place in the Illinois State Capitol, it was renamed again, this time Lincoln Memorial Park. It would be renamed Lincoln Park again in honor of its original namesake and later wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, in 1863.
In 1828, Lincoln Park was ceded by the US Congress to the State of Illinois, and in 1842 the newly founded city of Chicago bought it from the State for $8,000. While the hospital still serves the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago, it is now located in Lake Park, attracting patients and staff from across the metropolitan region. It is one of only six other hospitals operating within Chicago and located on Lake Michigan, a long and difficult horse and buggy ride from Lincoln Park.
The small smallpox hospital and cemetery in Lincoln Park were so popular that city officials set aside 60 acres north of the cemetery as a park and named it after President Lincoln, even though he was killed five years later. Because of its remoteness, the country was relatively inexpensive and was dedicated to the memory of Abraham Lincoln and his family.
A huge monument to Ulysses S. Grant is located on Cannon Drive, which is dominated by the Illinois State Capitol and the Lincoln Memorial on the north side of the park. The Abraham Lincoln statue in Grant Park is the largest statue of a US president in the United States. This man "is the same sculptor who also created the statues of George Washington, John F. Kennedy and Thomas Jefferson in Washington Square Park.
The Viking was moved to Lincoln Park, housed in a fenced-off building in a wooden shelter, and taken to Lincoln Park of the Commissioners (later merged into the Chicago Park District) for repair and restoration. The work involved removing the Vikings from their original location in the Lily Basin. Between 1998 and 2002, the Lily Bath was completely renovated, which gave the site a historical designation and gave it its name after Alfred Caldwell. On June 1, 2002, the General Superintendent of the Chicago Park wrote to the Viking Ship Restoration Committee asking that the ship be cleaned, cloaked and properly stored in Lincoln Park.
Although a group of citizens in the North had lobbied for the creation of Lincoln Park since the 1860s, it was organized in response to growing concerns about the lack of public space in Hyde Park. While we were consciously trying to avoid the wholesale clearances that were taking place In Hyde Park, the LPCA drew the ire of poor people living in the south-west Ofincoln Park due to its proximity to the Chicago River. These efforts led to Lake Park being renamed Lincoln Park in 1865, and it was expanded and further burials banned.
Today Lake Shore Dr. is an important arterial spine that stretches from the Chicago River to Lake Michigan in the southwest of the city. This highway passes through Lincoln Park, the largest park along Lake Michigan in an area of Chicago known for its neighborhood known as the Coln Park neighborhood.
It also has a surprising history: Although originally used as a cemetery in the 1860s, Lincoln Park Chicago actually began as Lake Park and got its current name in 1864. Then there was a small community of Polish-German settlers who named the place after a swamp cemetery that was drained by the lake and named after Lincoln, the president assassinated in 1865.